Featured Post

Thinking About Foot Surgery? Ten Things You Need To Think About BEFORE You Have Foot Surgery.

Ten Things You Need To Think About BEFORE  You Have Foot Surgery. 1. You need to exhaust conservative treatment before you decide...

Monday, December 29, 2014

Comfortable & Cute Women's Casual Shoe - Podiatry Recommended.

Zaful
Rivets Hellow Out Platform Shoe

 


Not only do I love the way this shoe looks - I love the pricetag of forty-two dollars at zaful.com! This shoe is perfect for anyone with Hallux Limitus or Hallux Rigidus, which means there is decreased range of motion and pain with motion of the first toe joint. In fact, anyone with any forefoot issues such as metatarsalgia, morton's neuroma, capsulitis, plantar plate injury and mild bunions or hammertoes should find this an exceptionally comfortable shoe. The sole is thick and rigid and has a wide base, which will also make it a comfortable shoe if you are recovering from a Lisfranc's injury. 

To maximize comfort I recommend that you add a custom-molded dress orthotic or a good over-the-counter heat molded insert, which you can get from you local podiatrist. Orthotics are expensive but they are often covered by insurance and even if you have to cash pay - they are worth the money when you consider that it is an investment in your feet, knees, hips and lower back. This shoe also offers a wide toebox and good rearfoot control that allows for better biomechanical control of the foot and ankle joints, which means less chance of injury, more comfort and less mechanical strain on your joints and tendons. 

This shoe is recommended for patients with:
*Hallux Limitus (limited range of motion of the 1st toe joint)
*Hallux Rigidus (no range of motion of the 1st toe joint)
*Plantar Fasciitis (heel pain) 
*Mild bunions
*Mild hammertoes
*Morton's Neruoma
*Capsulitis
*Metatarsalgia
*Mild Tailor's bunions
*Osteoarthritis 
*Degenerative Joint Disease of the 1st toe joint
*Previous Lisfranc's injury
*Mild Haglund's deformity
*Flat Feet & Over-Pronation (wear a custom-molded dress orthotic)
*Mild Hypermobility & Ligament Laxity (wear a custom molded dress orthotic if possible)

This shoe is not recommended for patients with: 
*Bone Spurs on the top of the midfoot area
*Severe Achilles Tendonitis
*Balance Issues
*Geriatrics
*Diabetes
*Peripheral Arterial Disease (poor circulation)
*Peripheral Neuropathy (nerve damage) 
*Charcot foot

I would love to hear any feedback that you have on this shoe. I would also love it if you could recommend any 'go to' shoe brands or styles that you think are amazingly comfortable and stylish as I am looking for ideas for future blog posts. Thank you!

Happy New Years!

Dr. Cathleen A. McCarthy

:)





5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Love the silver but frankly don't like wearing plastic shoes! I think I'll stick with some of the fabulous shoe brands I learned from your blog -- esp Fluevog!

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I try to present a wide selection of shoes and, although this shoe doesn't compare to Wolky, Fluevog or Dankso - don't rule it out till you try it! Remember that the RX Crocs are plastic and they are fab!
Thank you for reading and your feedback and I hope you have a wonderful New Year!
Cathy
:)

Unknown said...

I have forefoot issues, and reading your site made me realize that what I need in a shoe is stability and arch support mostly. My Dansko Pros are all-day walking shoes, as are my birkenstock sandals.

The birkenstocks are far less rigid than the Danskos (I suspect just about everything is), but just as comfy on my feet. Have you covered Birkenstocks here?

Also, after reading your recommendations I picked up a pair of flatform Keds, which are much comfier than ordinary sneakers (of that style anyway).

I'm looking for recommendations in oxford shoes (something like the Naot Kedma - which I hear is really comfy, but which doesn't have the steel bar, I'm pretty sure), or other shoes that would work for business casual wear and are flat.

Thanks for a great blog!

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

Hi Amy,
So sorry for the delayed response! I had some medical issues last month, which knocked me out of commission for awhile.

Birkenstock sandals are wonderful - as long as they have a rearfoot strap. The sole of a true Birkenstock is very rigid and should have no motion.

I haven't seen the Naot Kedma in person so I don't know if the sole is rigid or not, but is the sole is rigid and doesn't bend it should be fine. Also, if the sole is bending but you really want the shoe - you can take the shoe to a cobbler or shoe repair shop and have them add a steel-shank and sole buildup to the bottom of the shoe to stop motion. Otherwise, it's simply a matter of finding a shoe - any shoe - that has a sole that has a thick and rigid sole with no motion.

I have several "Top Comfortable Dress Shoe Lists" on the blog which you can find through the 'search box'.

Hope all is well,
Cathy
:)

Unknown said...

I like this women shoes design. The silver color looks unique with white lasses. The white sole more attracts the shoes design.