Featured Post

Thinking About Foot Surgery? Ten Things You Need To Think About BEFORE You Have Foot Surgery.

Ten Things You Need To Think About BEFORE  You Have Foot Surgery. 1. You need to exhaust conservative treatment before you decide...

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Top 30 Comfortable Sandals for Summer 2016 - Podiatrist Recommended.


Podiatrist Recommended 

Top 30 (Plus!)
Comfortable Sandal List

Summer 2016 


My summer sandal list is chock-full of options for those of you looking for a good-looking summer sandal that feels good on your feet. The recommendations are pathology specific, so what works for one foot type doesn't always work for a different foot type or pathology. I will offer tips for picking the best sandal for you. Keep in mind that, no matter what I recommend, the shoe must feel good on your feet. If the shoe is not comfortable on your feet then that shoe is not for you. 

For a shoe to be comfortable it must meet four criteria. You can get any shoe you want as long as the shoe meets the four criteria of what makes a good shoe and it passes the acid test - it has to feel good on your feet! 

The four criteria a shoe must have to be comfortable are:

1. A thick, rigid and non-flexible sole. This is crucial. If you are wearing a shoe with a sole that you can bend or is flexible, then you are setting yourself up for arthritic joint changes, injuries and stress through joints, tendons, ligaments as well as knee, hip and lower back issues. The concept is counter-intuitive, but having a shoe sole that is thick, rigid and non-flexible will put less motion through your foot joints. Less motion through your foot joints translates into less inflammation, swelling, injury and biomechanical strain. If you are recovering from a foot injury or foot pain of any type, the last thing that you want to do is force motion through the area of previous injury or current pain. If you are skeptical, give it a try and judge for yourself. 

2. A wide, soft toebox with as little pressure on the toes as possible. Pointy-toed shoes or ill-fitting, tight toeboxes can cause painful and cosmetically unpleasing bunions, hammertoes as well as corns and calluses. 

3. Rearfoot Control.  At the very least, you need to wear a shoe with a rearfoot strap. You will notice that there are no flip-flops or mules on any of my shoe lists. Without rearfoot control, you are forcing all of you tendons, ligaments and joints to work harder to stay in the shoe, which causes mechanical strain and can contribute to knee, hip and lower back issues. Also, without rearfoot control, you are forced to scrunch down you toes to stay in the flip-flop, which will speed up the progression of hammertoes and bunions. 

4. Arch Support. Ideally, you want to wear arch support, but in sandals that is not always possible. Arch support, in the form of over-the-counter products or custom-molded orthotics, can help to control over-pronation and decrease mechanical strain on the foot joints as well as the knees, hips and lower back. Ten percent of patients cannot tolerate arch support, so if arch support hurts your feet you might be one of the ten-percent of patients who should not wear arch support. Be aware that if your arch support hurts, then you might have it in the wrong shoe or you might have the wrong arch support. Talk to your podiatrist about what type of shoes and arch support are appropriate for your foot type.

Sandals are not appropriate for patients with:
*Diabetes
*History of Foot Ulcerations or Open Sores
*Neuropathy (Nerve Damage)
*Peripheral Arterial Disease (Poor Circulation)
*Charcot Foot
*Custom-molded Ankle-Foot Orthosis
*Drop Foot

If there is any doubt about what type of shoes are appropriate for you, I recommend that you make an appointment with your local Podiatrist for a biomechanical evaluation. Avoid surgery and opt for conservative treatment options first. The goal of foot surgery is to take an abnormal, painful foot and turn it into an abnormal, non-painful foot. You should exhaust conservative treatment before you consider foot or ankle surgery.  


Ash Vera Crackled Leather Sandal

Ash Vera Crocodile Embossed Leather Sandal

I am loving the Ash sandals! They both are nice adaptations of the Birkenstock and, in my eyes, I like how funky cool they look. They meet the four criteria of what makes a comfortable sandal and they have the added benefit of possibly being able to accommodate your dress custom-molded orthotic. If you have severe over-pronation, the high interior edge might cause skin irritation, blisters or pressure which is uncomfortable. If you have ligament laxity, hypermobility or instability of the ankles (rolling outward) and a history of ankle sprains, the high outside flair should help to hold your foot in a more stable position.



Birkenstock Milano Soft Footbed Super Grip Shoes

The Birkenstock Milano is a great choice for almost any foot type. The thick, rigid sole is covered with a soft footbed for added comfort and the straps are all adjustable so you can get a better fit. This is the perfect sandal for anyone with Hallux Limitus (limited range of motion through the 1st toe joint), Osteoarthritis of the forefoot and midfoot joints, plantar fasciitis (heel pain), mild over-pronation, Morton's Neuroma, metatarsalgia and plantar plate injuries (to name a few). This may not be the best choice if you have chronic Achilles tendon issues as you will need a sandal that has a slightly higher heel in the back so there is less tension on the Achilles tendon.   






Born Bastille Sandals

I love the look of the Born Bastille sandals! The thick, rigid and non-flexible sole is perfect for anyone with Hallux Limitus, Functional Hallux Limitus, metatarsalgia, Osteoarthritis of the toe joints and history of a previous Lisfranc's injury. This sandal also is a good choice for anyone with heel pain. 



Born Emmy Sea Green 

I love this look and wore this heel height and brand for many years. If you are able to wear this heel height comfortably then this shoe should work for you. At some point in your life, you will no longer to be able to comfortably handle the heel height and you will have to transition into a lower heel. Your body will tell you when you hit that point and then you just make the change into...








Born Lucee

A lower heel! I think this sandal is adorable. It doesn't have arch support, so if you have severe over-pronation, this sandal might not work for you. 



Born Petulla



Born Tera





Circus by Sam Edelman







Clarks Caslynn Shae




Clarks Clarene Award





Dirty Laundry Ballroom








HKR Sandals

I love the look of this sandal and, with a price tag of thirty dollars, it's a steal. It does come in limited sizes, so if you like it, get it quick.



Clarks Hazelle Amore




Kenneth Cole Reaction Pepe Pot



Clarks Auriel Finn


Alegria Verona Sandal

The Alegria sandals has a sturdy sole with a wide base that helps with stability. This is a good pick for anyone who has Functional Hallux Limitus (decreased range of motion through the 1st toe joint), plantar fasciitis (heel pain) as well as knee, hip and lower back issues.  

Birkenstock Sydney Sandal

This is a great choice for anyone with large bunions and severe hammertoes that do not comfortably fit in enclosed shoes or sandals with forefoot strapping. Although I typically like sandals to have more forefoot control, that is not always an option if you have large, painful bunions and hammertoes. 






Chaco Z1 Sandal

This is an excellent choice for the beach. It is an amphibious sandal as you can wear it on the beach as well as in the surf. I highly recommend that you wear an amphibious sandal when you go in the surf at the beach. It will help prevent injuries such as stepping on broken glass, coral, sea urchin spines and sharp rocks. 








Dirty Laundry Gung Ho


Kork-Ease Myrna 2.0 Metallix Wedge

Kork-Ease Ava

I recommend that you try the higher-heeled sandals on at the store to make sure that they are comfortable. These can be found at Dillard's as well as other major department stores. 

Mephisto Barbara Wedge Sandal

This sandal works better on tiny petite women who are not over-weight. My experience has been that the sole in the forefoot of this shoe starts to break down a little quicker than it should if you are heavier. The patients who are petite tend to do well with this shoe for a longer amount of time than the more voluptuous, Rubenesque women. 


Naot Paris 

Naot Kayla Sandals

The Naot sandals are wonderful! The Naot Kayla offers similar benefits as the Birkenstock Milano sandals (reviewed above). It has excellent strapping for more biomechanical control and a thick, rigid sole covered with a soft topcover for more comfort. The Naot Paris has a topcover with more cushioning than the Naot Kayla and is excellent for anyone with painful calluses.


Steve Madden Nylee Flatform Wedge Sandals

You're going to have to try this one on at the store to see if it works for you. I wish it had an extra midfoot strapping for more biomechanical control, but I do love the look and this should work for some patients. I do not recommend this sandal if you have balance issues or you know you are going to be walking on uneven surfaces like cobblestone. This wedge sandal will work best on flat, even surfaces such as concrete floors. This sandal is also not ideal for anyone with moderate to severe over-pronation as there is no arch support. 




Wolky Jewel

A classic and my personal favorite! This in one of the best sandals you can get. Make sure that when you purchase it that you double- check that the sole does not bend or flex as quality with any shoe can vary. Always get the shoe with the sole that bends and flexes the least. 




Wolky Lily





Wolky Rio White Crush Suede





Keen's Newport H2

Keen's Newport H2 is a great option for an amphibious sandal to wear to the beach. Wear it in the sand and in the surf to help prevent foot injuries and pain. This is also the sandal that I recommend for patients who do water aerobics to help protect the feet while in the pool. 



Dansko Lolita


Dansko Stevie

The Dansko brand is not for every foot type or every patient, but they can be an excellent shoe for anyone with Functional Hallux Limitus (limited range of motion through the 1st toe joint), Osteoarthritis of the toe joints, a history of a previous Lisfranc's injury and heel pain (to name a few). I highly recommend that you try on the Dansko shoes in the store to see if they are right for you. Dansko sandals work best when you are walking on hard, flat surfaces such as concrete. They do not work well on cobblestone or severely uneven surfaces. 


Fly London Yito


Fly London Yuta

I love the look of the Fly London sandals! I have many patients who swear by them, but they do not work for everyone. My personal experience was that I found that the forefoot was a tad too narrow for my foot. I highly recommend that you go to the store and try these on to ensure a comfortable fit. These shoes are an excellent choice for anyone with heel pain and a history of mild Achilles issues in the past. They also work well for some patients with mild Functional Hallux Limitus (limited range of motion of the 1st toe joint). The Fly London sandals have a rigid and non-flexible sole and they have the added benefit of extra-cushion within the sole for added shock absorption. 









Fit Flop Sandals 

The Fit Flop sandals are a great pick for anyone with large bunions that hurt with any pressure. When you purchase the Fit Flop sandals, make sure that you double-check that the sole is rigid and not flexible. Quality can vary greatly! If you get one that has a flexible sole (especially in the forefoot area) do not purchase it. Keep looking until you find one that offers no motion through the forefoot area. Remember that the more rigid the sole is -- the more comfortable the sandal will be and it will also last longer. The Fit Flop sandal is a good choice for anyone with Functional Hallux Limitus (limited range of motion through the 1st toe joint), Morton's Neuroma, metatarsalgia, plantar fasciitis (heel pain) and painful 5th hammertoes with corns. They are not the optimal choice for anyone with severe over-pronation as there is very little arch support. 

Naturalizer Ardel Wedges

If you know that you can handle this heel height, this Naturalizer sandal should be comfortable for you. I like the wider strapping in the rearfoot and the extra cushioning in the footbed.  

Ash Fool Platform Sneaker

Okay, it's not a sandal, but it is adorable! 


*   *   *   *   *


I hope that this list was helpful and, if you need more information, please refer to my other articles on this blog:

My Feet Hurt: Top 10 Things To Do To Alleviate Foot Pain Today.

Shoe Recommendations For Patients Recovering From Lisfranc's Injuries. 


I'd love to hear your feedback on any of these shoes and, if you ever want to thank me for any help that I've been able to offer you - the nicest thing you could do for me is, if you enjoy detective murder mystery novels, I would love it if you would read my novel 'Gunning For Angels' and give me an honest review on Amazon. As much as I love writing this blog and helping people with their foot pain, I love writing detective murder mystery books even more. Fair warning, the book is rated-R so, if that is not your cup of tea, you can choose to thank me by sharing my blog on your social media. Or you can just kick your feet up, relax and watch a good movie. I'm enjoying one of my favorites right now - Ricky Gervais and Tea Leoni in Ghost Town. I particularly love Kristine Wiig's performance as a hospital surgeon who has to tell her patient that there was a slight glitch during his surgery - he died for seven minutes and now he can see ghosts. Fun stuff!


Thank you and have a lovely day!

Dr. Cathleen A. McCarthy

:)





Check out my latest review of the Audiobook
'Gunning For Angels'
on Audiobook Reviewer
http://audiobookreviewer.com/reviews/giveaways/gunning-angels-c-mack-lewis/#comment-1790




63 comments:

MarcyB said...

I wear Keen Newport H2s every day. I live in Hawaii and spend a lot of time on rocky beaches, lava rocks and uneven surfaces. These are great for walking, snorkeling, hiking and just every day wear. I have bunions, a history of plantar fasciitis and some arthritis, so all of the factors you listed are important to me in sandals, plus I like fun colors in my shoes - I have purple and aqua. I once had red ones as well but they finally wore out. I think Keens tend to run a bit small and they don't come in wide widths, so I buy a half size larger than I would in other brands of shoes. They are wonderful.

fzillion casual said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jazame said...

Very nice article.This post provide very useful information.
I am delighted to read this article.
Thanks for sharing this Valuable information.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dr McCarthy, 

I've traveled abroad last year and did a lot of all day walking which I think left me with Marchers Fracture (my forefoot area still gets painful until now even with just a little walking). There was even one night then that I had to stop walking because of the severe pain in which I couldn't even take another step which never happened to me before. 

I used a brand new Puma http://postimg.org/image/c4q054m85/
that was tight in the toe box and I was not used to walking and standing all day til night. 

I'll be traveling by March again and will be doing the same walking and I plan on buying new shoes. I have new Nike Roshes but reading your recommendations makes me think twice about using them. 

Aside from the New Balance you recommend are AirMax 90s ok too (I saw you recommended it for children's shoes)?

Am also looking at Nike Air Huaraches, do you also recommend them?

Thanks! Am so glad that I found your very helpful blog!

Reply

Add comment

josomi said...

Thank you so much for this informative article. I am a Johnny come late to your blog and many of the previous year list shoes are no longer available. But I am glad I have a head start for this upcoming warm season.
One shoe I recommend is Kenneth Cole cut glass espadrile. It has a rigid heel wedge, forefoot stability and rear foot control strap. My foot problem is hallux rigidus on both feet and I can wear this shoe for a long period of time with no pain.

Unknown said...

I have been reading your blog with great interest, and I have a question. I see the value of the thick and rigid sole. But I have a bad tendency to turn my ankle or take a tumble in shoes with thick soles. I've taken two bad falls in my Dansko Professionals and nearly went through a glass door when I caught the toe of a Dansko Mary Jane on a slight irregularity in my office carpet. What advice can you give someone like me? I look at shoes like the wedges from Fly London and I think they would be a great relief for my bunions, but I really don't want to spend any more time in urgent care. Help!

val said...

Thanks for posting! I am in agreement on the Naot Kayla (about ready to purchase my third pair - same metallic color that goes with everything). I am a huge fan of the Alegria brand. I wear the Kleo style like slippers and just got the verona which is much better looking for work. I replace the foot beds every 4 months or so in all my alegias and they are like clouds again. I do have a question about making certain styles more comfortable. I have had my peep toe Fly London's for 18 months and love the style. They are the most stylish shoes that work for my hallux limitus, bunions, and RA. With the RA, I am increasingly needing a shoe with more cushion. Do you know of any insert I can buy in a store or at your office that can be used to make this shoe and others like it more comfortable?

Unknown said...

Nice post dear, these shoes are so attractive shoes. With so many choices available in Casual shoes, a person can easily get the color, material, and the style of shoes. We all have a different type of foot structure, it is very important to choose the perfect fit of the shoe, a person who feels comfortable in a particular set of shoes.

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

Hi MarcyB,
Thanks for much for the feedback on Keen's Newport H2! I also recommend them for anyone who is doing water aerobics in a pool. Thanks for reading and I hope you are doing well,
Cathy
:)

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

Hi Anonymous,
I am sorry for the delayed response! Regarding your questions about the AirMax 90's and the Nike Air Huaraches -- I believe that they both have rigid soles, but I am not sure about the Huaraches as I have not seen them in person. As long as the soles are absolutely rigid and have no motion and if the toe-box is wide enough -- they should work well. Sorry I didn't get the reply to you before your trip! I've been very bad about keeping up with posts! Since you got a "Marcher's Fracture" (metatarsal fracture), I highly recommend that you look into either custom-molded orthotics through your local podiatrist or you at least get a good pair of over-the-counter inserts like a full length Powerstep insert which replaces the insert that comes with the shoe. Don't forget you're Rx Crocs Relief for the hotel room and a good sandal for you would be a Birkenstock Milano with rearfoot control, which is on the above list. If you need more info, look up my article on this blog "Shoe recommendations for patients recovering from Lisfranc's Injurys". All of the information in that article will be relevant to you.
Hope you had a wonderful trip!
Cathy
:)

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

Hello Josomi,
Thank you so much for your input! You are right that the Kenneth Cole cut glass espadrile has a sole that is perfect for anyone with hallux rigidus. My concern is that the rearfoot strap looks like it doesn't offer enough rearfoot control, so it may not be the ideal shoe choice for anyone with ankle or rearfoot issues. What has been your experience? Does the rearfoot strap slip on your heel or does it remain in place?
Thank you for your input and thank you for reading the blog!
I'm always looking for new shoes to write about,
Cathy
:)

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

Hi Marta S,
The Dankso shoes are great, but they are not for everybody. Danskos are great (for some patients) for walking on flat, concrete floors - such as retail. They do not work well if you are working on uneven surfaces and they can be downright dangerous if you wear them on cobblestone streets!

If you are a chronic ankle sprainer, then you have had multiple ligament and tendon injuries. When this happens, you can injury "proprioception receptors" which are located within ligament and tendons. Proprioception is the ability to know where your foot is (without looking). When you injure these receptors it can cause your foot or ankle to roll outward (when your heel hits the ground) because your proprioception receptors are damaged and not working well. The good news is, if this is the case, you can go to physical therapy where they can do "proprioceptive receptor re-training", which will help you with your balance issues and rehabilitate those receptors. There are other things that can cause balance issues, which cannot be improved by physical therapy, so I would recommend that you go to your local podiatrist to get evaluated for why you are having instability.

After saying all that, I think that the Dansko shoes are not for you! I think you might be more comfortable and stable in an Alegria Abbi or Paloma, which have a wide base and are exceptionally stable. I'm not sure the Fly London wedges are for you, but there is only one way to tell. Try them on at the store and if you feel any instability at all -- don't get them. Start with the Alegria shoes first! When you are in the store, make sure you double check the rigidity of the sole of each Alegria as quality varies greatly. Remember that 10% of shoes are defective and you have to check every pair of shoes before you purchase them. If they are too flexible in the sole - ask the salesperson to get you another pair from the stockroom.

I tend to be a little klutsy and have been knows to take some serious tumbles! When my husband and I were in Hong Kong (where there are NO signs that warn you about uneven pavement or danger areas), I was wearing my Dansko Professional Clogs and hit some uneven pavement (two days in a row!) and, as my husband said, "You dropped like somebody shot you!" Well, I did hit the pavement and had to lay there for a couple of minutes to recover, but the rigid soled Danskos, in my opinion, saved me from breaking my foot. I banged up my knee and the palms of my hand, but I didn't injury my feet or ankles. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that, even with the best shoe, it doesn't mean that you won't fall and hurt yourself. But, if you are in excellent shoes, then when you do take a fall (and I hope you don't!) then having on the right shoe could be the difference between a sprain or a fracture.

I hope this was helpful and I hope the Alegria shoes work for you!
Don't forget your Rx Crocs Relief or Ultimate Cloud as bedroom slippers (with the strap to the back)!
Thanks for reading,
Cathy
:)

Unknown said...

Thank you, doctor! I had not considered that I might have done some lasting damage with my tumbles, but what you're saying makes sense. I will look into physical therapy. And I will definitely try the Alegrias first!

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

Hi Marta S,
My pleasure! Let me know how the Alegrias work...
Cathy
:)

Unknown said...

Please advise me as to what shoes for ladies you recommend for walking and working on concrete all day. Thank you

mellowcello said...

Hi, recently I had ankle surgery to remove an OS trigonum and am now looking for a supportive good walking sandal that will not bother my bilateral PTTD Tendinitis. Can you suggest sandals that would be helpful for that with a good arch support? Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hello. I have had pain in the area of my large toe joints on both feet since incurring an injuring simply walking in poor fitting narrow fashion boots; a twenty minute (unexpected) walk was enough to derail my forefeet for the past eight years. I am a few years from 50 and have had a heck of a time finding shoes/orthotics to minimize pain. Three different diagnosis from three different doctors/ 1. says it arthritic (no swelling and the pain doesn't seem to be solely in the joint), 2. mortons neuroma 3. trapped nerve. I have spent a fortune on orthotics from reputable sources, I have settled on one that is light and not terrible ridged, that I add to stable forefoot Clarks for work, New balance 606 for walking and rockport sandals, and danko's for dress. I use crocs for around the house. The roll bar doesn't work for me. Keep all of your advice in mind when I shop, still have such a hard time finding shoes, as my feet are quite shallow, so there is too much gap in the front. Wolkys are huge in the front when they fit the back. My question is, what are your thoughts regarding the other Crocs, such as the Dawg? I would like to replace my rockports which are looking tired, and are discontinued. Thank you for sharing your knowledge for those of us at their wits end:) Cheers from Rita in BC, Canada.

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

HI Unknown,
The best shoes for working on concrete all day are:
1. New Balance 928 (appropriate for almost all foot types)
2. Dansko Professional Clogs with rearfoot control (this shoe doesn't work if you have large 'bumps' on you feet, so you will have to go to the store to make sure they work for you)
3. MBT walking shoes (does not work for all foot types. Stary away from any rocker bottom shoes if you have a history of Achilles Tendonitis or hypermobility)

**Get custom molded orthotics or an excellent OTC insert like Footsteps (online) to wear in the NB or the MBT.

**Wear knee high compression hose for more leg comfort (start with 15 mmHG knee high compression hose)

**Get Rx Crocs for your bedroom slipper when you come home at the end of the day.

Good luck and please let me know how it works for you!

Cathy
:)

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

Hello Mellocello,
For walking activites, I would recommend the New Balance 928 or 1540 with either custom-molded orthotics or a good over-the =-counter insert like the Powersteps. For a sandal, you might try the Ecco Yucaton which has good arch support built into it -- however, be careful that you only buy the one in the store that has the least amount of motion in the sole. Quality varies! You are looking for the Ecco Yucaton that has the most rigid, non-flexbile solid sole possible.
Thanks for reading!
Cathy
:)

pm4 said...

I know this is off-topic but I had left a comment in another forum about a few sesamoid questions for men and I wonder if maybe that thread is so old that it's not active anymore. Does anyone know if there has been one of these lists made for office/work shoes for MEN that are good for sesamoid injuries? Professional business/office type shoes.

I found a pair of Dansko Wyatt's in the Walking Company Store, they seem to fit the good doctor's recommendations for sturdy sole and wide toebox, but the feeling when wearing them is that maybe the heel is too high, so therefore the foot it rolling forward and too much pressure is being placed on the forefoot and sesamoid area.

So I'm kind of at a loss for a men's shoe that would be good for a sesamoid sufferer.

Just thought I'd ask.

pm4 said...

There is also the newer Samuel Hubbard Men's Free shoe, which seems to be sturdy and firm in the sole, with a decent toe box width, and a significantly flatter heel. They claim to be a a good shoe for foot issues but that could just be marketing. Can't tell which is better, the Dankso Wyatt or the Sam Hubbard.

pm4 said...

There is also the Dansko Men's Professional Clog which I hear is good for sesamoiditis relief and healing. I have tried that shoe on and despite looking funny I must say it feels pretty comfortable. One thing I noticed is that it feels almost like the sesamoid area hangs over the arch and is not being hit with any pressure, which is great. The thing I don't really understand is that even with the back to the shoe (unlike backless clogs), you are still supposed to be able to fit a pinky between your ankle and the shoe, and when walking your heel is supposed to rise out loosely just a bit - so I'm told by the people at Dansko and the knowledgable salespeople at the shoe store. Does this go against the grain of wisdom to always have rearfoot control, the reason flip-flops are no good? And does this mean it really isn't a good shoe for sesamoiditis? I do notice in the clog that it feels like the toes have to do a little work, since the back is loose. I thought the idea for sesamoid healing was to relieve the toes of work.

It's all very confusing, and I am sorry for posting in the entry about women's shoes, but I am having a hard time finding good answers online to my questions. Thank you.

Natz said...

I'm so glad I've come across your blog!
This week I've been told I have osteoarthritis in two spots in my right foot: big toe joint and ankle. I'm in my early forties and was quite shocked to have received this news. As an avid shoe lover I'm trying to find something for the summer which will help me reduce the pain while working on improving my muscle strength.
What would you recommend for me: a Birkenstock sandal or a Fitflop? Or should I look at something completely different?
Many thanks in advance for your advice!!!

Edie Jams said...

I have spent a fortune on orthotics from reputable sources, I have settled on one that is light and not terrible ridged, that I add to stable forefoot Clarks for work, New balance 606 for walking and rockport sandals, and danko's for dress. I use crocs for around the house.

Branding Agency Singapore | Custom Ecommerce Development Singapore

Anonymous said...

How can I find retailers that carry these shoes to try on instead of ordering online? A Google search is not turning up much. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

what closed toe sandals and dress shoes would you recommend? I have heal pain, occassionally achilles tendon and ankle hurts?

thanks

Unknown said...

You’ve provided great information in your blog. Many thanks for sharing the information in your blog.
podiatrist Sydney

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

Hi Anonymous,
Sorry to say that you just have to keep researching and googling what stores carry the shoes you are interested in. The next best option is ordering through Zappos.com because they offer free shipping and free return if the shoe doesn't work for you.
Best wishes and thank you for reading!
Cathy
:)

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

Hi Anonymous,
The best closed-toe 'sandal' I would recommend would be the Wolky Cloggy. Make sure that when you purchase it that the sole doesn't bend or flex. Get the one that has the most rigid and non-flexible sole and that will be the one that is most comfortable. You might consider getting a Futura ankle brace to wear as needed for the ankle pain and I would highly recommend that you make an appointment with your local podiatrist for an evaluation and x-rays to make sure nothing more serious is going on.
Thanks for reading!
Cathy
:)

Blog: Maguba Clogs said...

Hi, how good are women's clog sandals? I have an idea that they are very comfortable when compared to other styles but are they good enough to be worn for really long hours? Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi thank you for such a imp blog for women's footwear very comfortable and painless shoess and sandals in your post. Thank you for sharing with us.

Comfortable sandals for women online

MCX Gold Trading Tips said...

thanks for sharing informative post.

MCX Tips in Gold Positional

Alan Gould said...

An excellent collection. Some of those wooden clogs look really nice and as far as I know about them, they are very comfortable. They make up for a superb recommendation for podiatrist. Thank You

DiLina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Royce Skylar said...

Such a huge variety shoes. I’m so glad that so many different styles are on-trend. My favourites are flat shoes, sandals and oxfords. These types of shoes are the best support while walking. It became the most preferred choice of people for footwear to all occasions. I always looking good quality shoes and ordered from the online store. Recently I purchased a sandal from Footwear Couture. The products are so quality and comfortable.

Anonymous said...


Nice Sandals..
women's sandals shoes
women's sandals
women's sandals nz

Unknown said...

Love this outfit! If you don’t have ankle boots like those you should definitely look into getting a pair because that’s what I first noticed! Love your poses ;) Techlazy.com Howmate.com Crazyask.com

Sonia Chauhan said...

I’m not a huge love of wearing all black either, Sylvia! But just the other day, I saw a woman at the airport in all black, and it really worked. She had on different textures that made such an impact.UpdateLand
Deepwebsiteslinks.com

Unknown said...

Graceful written content on this blog is really useful for everyone same as I got to know. Difficult to locate relevant and useful informative blog as I found this one to get more knowledge but this is really a nice one.
รองเท้า เพื่อ สุขภาพ

Ronald I Bremer said...

From my personal opinion I must say that best shoes for flat feet it's really a good products. I use it for my daily work time and also exercise time.

Unknown said...

That's really a good collection of comfortable walking shoes. hope womens can get good stuff as well after order here.

Anonymous said...

Love the style of these shoes and your comments. I'm 50 years old and newly looking for shoes for problem feet. Hard to find the balance between way too groovy and way too dowdy. After stumbling on your blog, somehow the "just right" option seems a possibility after all.

I'm in Australia - and not recognising some of the brands. : ( Not sure if its time lag or location lag.

But in agreement that it would be fantastic to see an update!

Dr McCarthy, thank you for the inspiration - and for the hope that there are shoes out there somewhere for these sore feet!

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

Hi Anonymous,
Thanks for your kind words and thank you for reading the blog! The key to finding excellent shoes is that you find shoes that:
1. Have a thick, rigid and non-flexible sole (especially in the forefoot area) - this is the most important thing!
2. Wide toe box
3. Rearfoot control
4. Add arch support with an orthotic or over-the-counter insert
AND they also must feel good and be a good fit!
Wishing you the best,
Cathy
:)

Sophie said...

I have been living for pain in my feet and toes for a while. But this past week the pain in both my big toes first joint was getting more intense. I look online and found your articles about the sandals. Love it. The information is clear and straightforward. I bought today a pair of Wolky Jewel upon your recommendations. What a game changer. I wore it right away and the pain is gone. I was able to do all my activities without thinking about my feet. It’s not the look I like but being pain free is so much more important to me. Thank you for taking the time to put so much information out. Your articles are very valuable for me and it will force me to clear my shoe closet. Thank you so much and keep up the excellent work.
Kind regards,

Sophie

lettysevy said...

Oh! Amazing job with the article. I come across few helps over here related by this post to do my task nicely. I highly recommend this. Thanks a lot……… Womens Low Heel Sandals in Namibia

Vostroshoes said...

Most of the blogs we have today suggest the right kind of shoes, events-specific. But this Podiatristically based list of the Sandals is all you need during summers. As per the blog, there are 4 criteria a shoe must have to be comfortable and lists the shoes based on them. Shoes with the thick, rigid and non-flexible sole, wide with a little pressure on the sole, rear foot control and arch support are the best shoes. The same goes for sandals too. Listing of more than 10 sandals and wedges with images looks great.
Also, find new styles & designer Shoes Online in India at Vostrolife.
Thanks,

Guy Frazier said...

Nice Post
https://tripyoda.com/best-beaches-in-spain/

This PAIR said...

Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips.

Ladies Comfort Shoes Australia

Derek Rooney said...

I have been diagnosed with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and my doctor has given me Seebri Breezhaler, it's an inhalation powder 44 micrograms. I take it once a day in the morning. It's a great help to breathing, it's a new medicine on test, 10 out of 10 from me! But still yet i was told it has no cure for it. I was fed up to nearly take my life until my son saw a post of a lady who testify that there's a cure for copd and she was diagnosed with this disease for 8 years before she came arrow a website of an Africa clinic. Which provide natural herbal herbs to cure copd and she purchase it through online. My son purchase their copd herbal remedy on my behalf and give it to me to use with the instructions given on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured of this deadly disease within 12 weeks of usage. I advise whosoever reading my testimony should visit www.solutionhealthherbalclinic.com and seek for your solution, You also can email at solutionsherbalclinic@gmail.com.

Ankita said...

Hi!!
Love your post. It's really amazing & helpful too. I like the way you explained everything, kind of example you used. By sharing this amazing thoughts, you have solved my problem. Keep sharing :)
Thank You & Regards
Ankita


a2 hosting black friday

Ivanna Santino said...

I'm 59 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting to underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, totalcureherbsfoundation.com has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs,it class products at affordable prices. Purchase these medicines and get the generic medicines delivered in USA, UK & Australia,I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life.

This PAIR said...

I really liked your Information. Keep up the good work. Women's Shoes with Arch Support Australia

Nino Nurmadi , S.Kom said...

Nino Nurmadi, S.Kom Nino Nurmadi, S.Kom Nino Nurmadi, S.Kom Nino Nurmadi, S.Kom Nino Nurmadi, S.Kom Nino Nurmadi, S.Kom Nino Nurmadi, S.Kom Nino Nurmadi, S.Kom Nino Nurmadi, S.Kom

Anonymous said...

Wow i like the sea side and i have haired that Hawaii is a must visit place because of long waves that move from height and talk to skies. vegan womens shoes

Tonia Anderson said...

I'm Tonia Anderson by name, I am from the States, Suffolk county to be precise. I am here today to testify of the good works LORD ZAKUZA has done in my life, I never knew great men still exist until I found him. I have been suffering from heart break for the past 3 years, my partner who I invested on cheated on me with my best friend on my matrimonial bed, I was yet to recover from this terrible shock until I meant LORD ZAKUZA, a friend of mine directed me to him , I doubted him at first but as things went further, I had to give him my trust and did exactly as he told me to do. Ever since then, I have been happy all my life and my love life with my partner has been so wonderful. You can also need his help and here's his contact information. WhatsApp: +1 740 573 9483, Email: lordzakuza7 @ gmail. com, Website: lordzakuzaspells.com

ossawrd said...

Amazing post! .I appreciate your hard work. Thank you for sharing. I have also shared some useful information. ShoesCover Max Review on Ossward.org

news india said...

Terima kasih atas kontribusi yang luar biasa ini, menurut saya sangat menarik dan Cnnc Stock dipikirkan dengan baik dan disatukan. Saya berharap untuk membaca karya Anda di masa depan.

BUSINESS JOURNEY said...

Free Download Bollywood Movies and Web Series at Filmyzilla 2022




Eds said...

You can add the Freeworld Australia thong. It is so comfortable even I used it for a long time walk.

siu said...

causing lack of hair loss or scarring of the scalp If you want to have good hair health or straight, soft, หวีโรงแรม beautiful, shiny hair, you should choose the right type of conversion. suitable for our hair

siu said...

Hotel combs, essential items that are no different from clothes and eye makeup, “hair” is also the main element. หวีโรงแรม Both women and men show personality, outward appearance of all of us can help to enhance confidence, just like wearing makeup.

shofialisa said...

Nice post ! an amazing article I learn something more chalenging on different blogs face everyday, I opened your link and have a lot of information its really interest to me , post meny article like this one....
uncontested divorce virginia beach
uncontested divorce fredericksburg virginia

Sosoxy said...

A very well-prepared entry! It will really be helpful for people who are looking for comfortable shoes.